Sunday, November 2, 2008

Early Voting


After we talked in class about early voting and how voting day is like a deadline, and candidates have until that day to campaign as much as they can, I became interested in how early voting is affecting our current election. I found an article in the New York Times about early voting. Now 32 states allow voters to cast their ballot early without a required excuse for dong so. Early voting has been very popular this year, with 30 percent to 35 percent of voters expected to participate this year compared to the 22 percent of voters that cast an early presidential ballot in 2004. This is due in part to how "user-friendly" early voting has become. Open in some states for twelve hours a day, early voting is available at a variety of convenient locations including at grocery stores and from the windows of their cars, "A.T.M. style". Others chose to vote early because, as one voter put it, "I thought I might as well do this, I wasn’t about to change my mind.” Many people have strong opinions about this election, and at this point in the campaign few things could change their predetermined candidate choice. Early voting is also a way for people to voice their opinion that would not have a chance to vote otherwise due to obligations such as long work hours. Although some view early voting as a "leap of faith" since there has been fraudulent voting in the past, it provides an opportunity for some people to vote whom would not have voted if there was not early voting. So far, more registered Democrats have cast their ballots than Republicans.

2 comments:

ToriH said...

With the convenience of early voting and voting today I am shocked by the amount of people who do not vote in the elections. 64% of the people capable of voting, do not. We live in a country where we have the privilege of having a large say in our government and the decisions they make. Why people do not take advantage of this privilege frustrates me, especially because voting has become so convenient. I hope that the election this year has inspired a greater voting turn-out.

Willie P. said...

I agree, Tori. My dad voted early, and I think it was a smart move. You beat the rush and have the relief of knowing your vote will count, in case something happens on the real election day. I myself, find it a privilege to be able the vote, and can't wait to take part in every election possible. However, I can see why a lot don't vote, whether it is because they feel the country isn't doing enough for them or because they don't have the means or time to register and get out on election day.